Monday, August 1, 2011
Weekly update- cleaning advice
If you look you can see that it needs washed. So anyone have advice? I'm thinking of putting it in a small pan of water with a few drops of dawn. It's all DMC so that should be okay right??
This week I am stitching on Garden Party. In fact I plan on stitching every spare moment this week. If I do that, I should be able to get it finished. YAY. I am so excited. You'll have to excuse my lack of participation in groups this week.
Sierra
Monday, August 1, 2011
Weekly update- cleaning advice
If you look you can see that it needs washed. So anyone have advice? I'm thinking of putting it in a small pan of water with a few drops of dawn. It's all DMC so that should be okay right??
This week I am stitching on Garden Party. In fact I plan on stitching every spare moment this week. If I do that, I should be able to get it finished. YAY. I am so excited. You'll have to excuse my lack of participation in groups this week.
Sierra
7 comments:

You should be fine if you do that but why do it now? I always wash my work when I am finished. This way, even if there is a chance of fading thread colors, it would still be uniformly faded, you know?
ReplyDelete
Cold water is a must. If you don't have something mild for doing your handwashing (Woolite or something along those "delicates" lines), Dawn will definitely do. And you don't need much.
Spray n Wash (which I think is now called Resolve or it's now SnW w/ Resolve) will get anything out--even Hawaiian Punch and it won't affect the color or cause bleeding at all.
I think DMC used to recommend you cold rinse colored threads before using them but I haven't seen that warning in ages so I'm guessing they're using a different dye process.
if defo used dmc threads then would wait till the end to give a wash in lucke warm water with a mild detergent and rinse well and then iron dry on a white towel upside down so the stitches don't get flattened.. if nice day you could always hang out :) hope that helps love mouse x
ReplyDelete
p.s . don't wash hand dyed threads or fabric at all !!

It's looking really great Sierra. I love the way the moon looks, all full and pretty. Wonderful! I may have to get that myself, lol. As if I need another HAED in my rotation. If you have to wash it, I would say wash it at the end. The floss SHOULD'T fade or run, but you never know. It's better to be safe than sorry, I think. And in a pan of dishwater should be fine.
ReplyDelete







Your stitching looks fabulous. Great progress.
ReplyDeleteYou should be fine if you do that but why do it now? I always wash my work when I am finished. This way, even if there is a chance of fading thread colors, it would still be uniformly faded, you know?
ReplyDeleteCold water is a must. If you don't have something mild for doing your handwashing (Woolite or something along those "delicates" lines), Dawn will definitely do. And you don't need much.
Spray n Wash (which I think is now called Resolve or it's now SnW w/ Resolve) will get anything out--even Hawaiian Punch and it won't affect the color or cause bleeding at all.
I think DMC used to recommend you cold rinse colored threads before using them but I haven't seen that warning in ages so I'm guessing they're using a different dye process.
if defo used dmc threads then would wait till the end to give a wash in lucke warm water with a mild detergent and rinse well and then iron dry on a white towel upside down so the stitches don't get flattened.. if nice day you could always hang out :) hope that helps love mouse x
ReplyDeletep.s . don't wash hand dyed threads or fabric at all !!
I'd wait until the end too. And I'd only do it if you can see the dirt on the stitched piece. If it's just the sides or back, I wouldn't even do it. No one will see that part and I wouldn't want to chance something running, even though the colors in this piece shouldn't bleed at all.
ReplyDeleteIt's looking really great Sierra. I love the way the moon looks, all full and pretty. Wonderful! I may have to get that myself, lol. As if I need another HAED in my rotation. If you have to wash it, I would say wash it at the end. The floss SHOULD'T fade or run, but you never know. It's better to be safe than sorry, I think. And in a pan of dishwater should be fine.
ReplyDeleteOh YAY!! You're back on her. Moon's looking great. :)
ReplyDeleteDishwater should be ok, I think? I don't wash my stuff..... but that sounds mild enough. Good luck with it.
Looks good, Sierra. You should be able to wash it with no problems. I have a cleaning tutorial on the sidebar of my blog under How-To.
ReplyDelete